Home alone diaries

I really should re-watch this movie...

   I’ve never truly been home alone. Even when both my parents had to go out of town for one reason or the other, I always had either my bro or my cousin sticking around because they had to be in school or something. But not this time. My Dad works in a different county now, my mom and bro have gone to ocha (That means ‘country-side’ for our international readers) and my cousin’s at an internship out of town. So when this week was approaching my parents were kind of nervous because you know, I’ve never truly been home alone (And apparently all girls’ parents suffer from some kind of separation anxiety to some degree! It’s a proven fact, ask your girlfriend or sister guys). But me, I was over the moon!! Why? Let me tell you why:
  • No cleaning up after anyone. Sometimes I feel like a babysitter because let’s face it, my family can be pretty messy and I like leaving things exactly how I found them. My plan was to completely scrub-down the house then I wouldn't have to touch it again until next week or something.
  • No cooking. Or at least having to worry about what 3 or 4 other people are going to eat for dinner. But me, I could survive on bread and milk alone, I could eat out, I could do anything!
  • Silence. I have a brother and apparently there’s some unwritten rule of physics that states that ‘All siblings will without fail drive you crazy when you least want them to’.
  • Full control of the TV!!!

   So Tuesday was day 1, and it went pretty well. On the way home from school I bought a sub because I figured 2 pizzas (Terrific Tue), even if they were small, were too much for one person (Pizza inn subs taste amazing by the way). I got home and took out the trash then locked-up for the night before having my dinner and spending the next couple of hours in front of the TV. When eventually did decide to turn off the TV and turn-in for the night the house was eerily quiet. I mean abnormal silence. And I found myself getting slightly paranoid (I really should stop watching horror flicks).  I was closing doors behind me and making sure that every room was already lit before walking in. At some point I started playing music at full volume as I got ready for bed. Last night, was a walk in the park. All my paranoia was gone and I was completely relaxed.
   And I realized something, it wasn’t so bad. One day I will move out and as a change it might get some getting used to but now I feel like I can totally pull it off. Not that I wasn’t sure before, but this has been a sort of test-drive for me. And I suppose that that’s just life, you find yourself in totally new situations and you just wing it and learn something about yourself along the way.
Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room