I tried to be a football fan...and failed



This year, I decided that I would give football one last chance. You know? Watch the world-cup matches with a completely open mind and if I didn’t love the game afterwards then there would be no hope. I’ve only followed 3 World cups in my whole life:
1.       France 98 – I was 7 years old and in-love with all things French so I watched it simply because France was hosting. I still remember the theme song ‘Ole ole ole ola’!
2.       South Africa 2010 - Come on, every African with an ounce of pride in their heritage was watching this one!
3.       Brazil 2014.

    So 1 hour to the opening ceremony and I hadn’t chosen a team to support. I randomly settled on Spain because they won the previous World cup (wrong choice). I also picked all African countries (Big-ups to Ghana by the way). I watched the opening match and...It was actually pretty darn interesting! I was happy and mad and I got to see this Neymar everyone was talking about. I then decided to support Brazil because:
1.       They played well
2.       Their players were mostly young (and cute)

   But past that first day, I’ve only watched bits and pieces of matches, and kept-up with scores via Twitter. I love my sleep and so there’s no way I can sacrifice it for a 4am game. So me and soccer are at a sort of impasse. I don’t particularly hate it, but I’m not head over heels in love with it either. I’ll never be that girl who pretends to be a huge fan just to attract a guy’s attention. The amount of pretence required takes-up too much energy. But I will acknowledge events like the World cup because they bring people together. I’ll also probably watch the final match of this World-cup and the closing ceremony because they are a part of human history (lol!).

But for the rest of you die-hards, enjoy the matches! And for what it's worth, #TeamBrazil!!! :))
  Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room