SMH (Shaking My Head)



I just thought it would be nice to rant and rave a bit about the things that can drive any Nairobian totally insane. I don’t know if this is true for people living in other Kenyan towns and cities but feel free to let me know:

·         Matatu prices that quadruple when it’s raining. Wait did I say raining?? I meant to say ‘when the sky gets cloudy and attempts to release a few drops of water upon the general population’. One word: Pandemonium!! Suddenly everyone’s pushing and shoving into PSVs like their live depend on it. And even worse for you if you live in one of the more distant parts of the city like Rongai or Kitengela.

·         The twin sister of situation number 1: Endless traffic jams when it’s rainy. I talking about meaningless never-ending stall-ups all because a few people couldn’t keep a few traffic laws!!!

·         Rampaging drivers who threaten to run-over anything and everything because ‘they are in such a hurry’. Dude, relax, it’s not the Safari rally.

·         Pedestrians who cross the road like they own it and they have a death-wish. I was like that too until I started going to driving school and realised just how maddening and unnerving it is for the person driving!!

·         Hawkers/Traders who insist on grabbing your arm just to make you see how much you HAVE to buy their wares. Seriously??? You’re driving away more customers than you are gaining!! And the same goes to those Matatu conductors who practically shove you into the vehicle.

·         Again with the roads: Being stalled in traffic for more than 30 minutes on a cold Monday morning all because I have to wait for a presidential or any other motorcade to pass by!! You know what?? Even ordinary Kenyans have places to be at 8 o’clock on the dot!!

·         University students who strike and destroy everything in their path!! It’s like a hurricane!! Yes, you have something important to say. Yes, you should be taken seriously. Yes, we believe in your cause (probably); but thanks to your carefree destruction of property, a lot of people thing that the only thing young Kenyans do is smash things!! Ever heard of peaceful demonstrations?? Nobody can take you seriously enough unless you present yourself and you issues in a well-organized manner.

·         Politicians who say one thing today and another the next day. Kiguegue-much??

·         Bureaucracy in public offices. If you want to get the necessary official documents i.e.: ID, passport, PIN, drivers licence; you have to visit at least 3 different government offices in 3 different parts of the city and make ridiculously long queues. I mean, would it kill you guys to de-centralize or at least computerize some of these processes.

·         Water and power shortages even though it’s raining cats and dogs every day. I so do not understand the dynamics of this situation, and I’m not sure I ever will.

But despite all this I still love my country and I love living here. Watch out for my next blog to see why.
Ciao!!!! :)

Comments

  1. you couldnt have said it better:-)big ups on the blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room