Oh drat! I think I’m growing up...


   A friend of mine once talked about how young boys who cry are always told to ‘be a man’ but they’re never told what exactly it is that defines a man. Well I’m not about to give parenting advice for parents with young sons. Uhh... I think that for now that’s a bit out of my league for now. But what that statement reminds me of is the process of growing up and maturing. I know that legally we’re referred to as ‘Adults’ when we hit 18, and in some cases, when we are issued with our national IDs. But it doesn’t ever feel that different. I don’t know about you but I personally expected fireworks or the movement of the sun moon and stars when I turned 18. I expected an amazing change but nope. It was just another day spent studying for my form 4 exams in an all-girls boarding school. Apart from my friends and classmates wishing me a brief happy birthday when I walked into class at 8pm, that was it (And yes, I do mean 8pm. I had spent the entire day putting the finishing touches on my computer-studies project that which was part of my final exam so I hadn’t seen much of anyone that day).



   So when you finally do hit the big 18, there isn’t really much of a difference. You’re not a child, but you don’t exactly feel like an adult either. You’re just an unclassified mess somewhere in the middle. But then somewhere along the way something changes. Events in your life open your eyes and you become aware of the fact that you are actually aging and are moving towards being a ‘productive member of society’. So for many people it may be that:
  • You register for Uni/College and have to move into a hostel. Suddenly you have to fend for yourself with the resources you have. Maybe budget your money or cook for yourself.
  • You get a job, and the sometimes overwhelming sense of responsibility that comes with it.
  • You get arrested. Yep. The one thing about IDs that they never tell you about. They’re always like ‘’Congratulations, you’re now an adult’’ but they usually forget to add ‘‘Oh and by the way, you can now get arrested’’ (Uhh, I’m not speaking from experience or anything just so you know, so dear friends and family please drop the questioning looks)
   There are probably hundreds of examples but I like to refer to these moments as ‘Oh-drat-I-think-I’m growing-up moments’.  I had my own such moment and it came when I realized that I had started doing things because they needed to be done, and not because I had been told to or because if I didn’t do it someone would give me ‘the look’ (I feel so responsible right now!! :D).

   That realisation was great; it was also scary, so it was scary but great. And I don’t know. It just made me realize that I had opened another chapter of my life. And I’m eager to explore it. I’ll probably dive-in feet-first like I sometimes do but it’s an adventure. It maybe a bumpy ride so I’m going to fasten my seatbelt while I’m at it. So if you feel like sharing your ‘Oh-drat-I-think-I’m growing-up moment’ you can comment below. Otherwise have a lovely week!!
Ciao...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room