Naturalista experiment part 2


***For part 1 of this series, click here***

   This journey has partially been a rescue-mission. A high-paced courageous effort to save the edges of my hairline. Noble really, when you think about it. Then it turned into this creative roller-coaster that was too much fun to stop. If you know me, or have read my blog, then you know that I like pushing boundaries. I like stepping out of my comfort-zone. My motto is ‘No what-ifs’. Because I have better things to do with my time that brood over missed opportunities (Hey, med keeps me pretty busy). All in all, I’d say it was a successful mission!

   So I’ve been rocking my natural hair since 27th August. It was supposed to be a 2-week stint then I kept saying to myself “One more week”. That’s how I found myself here...a month later and still going strong. I am personally determined to keep this up till my birthday (Tomorrow actually....Here’s a hint: I’m in love with Pinacolada cake from Cake city) and then till about next week!

Shout-out to all the September babies reading this blog!


    This transition has left most people that I know completely baffled. Not because they don’t understand, but because they’d never seen my natural hair before so it was all like, “Omigosh! I love your hair!” And I was all like, “Thanks, I grew it myself” (he he!). At one point my mom even asked when I was planning on getting my hair braided. I just shrugged my shoulders. I know that it will have to be braided for the duration of time that I will be studying for and doing my end-year exams. So mom, that means Octoberish (Chill, does she even read this blog?)

   I’m sure some of the girls are dying to know what I’ve learnt this time round:
1.       It’s not difficult at all to care for natural hair. All you need is a couple of simple protective styles up your sleeve and you’re good to go.
2.       Key hair products: Shampoo, conditioner, treatment, hair oil. That’s for just basic care. Start simple, as you figure out what products are best for you.
3.       I’m developing a real affinity for coconut hair oil. I like the smell and how it makes my hair feel.
4.       Hair-washing becomes an event. When a natural tells you she’s staying home to wash her hair, it’s not just an excuse. You actually have to invest in your hair for great returns.

   That said, here are some of the looks I tried this past month. Hope they inspire someone.
 
Bantu knots: Here worn in a ponytail. Sometimes I used a hair-clip instead.

Braid-outs: I finally figured-out how to use this very shiny, gold-coloured scarf that I've owned for years!

My version of an afro

Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room