Just Google It!!!!!!


   A couple of weeks ago some of my facebook friends started copy-pasting a  status update about some movie that apparently portrays Jesus as a homosexual and so the status urges the reader not to watch the movie and to re-post the status so that people would get to know. The update goes something like this:

I know you may love watching movies but for Christ sake, don't get tempted. The movie Corpus Christi is due to be released this June to August. This disgusting film is set to appear in America later this year and it depicts Jesus and his disciples as homosexuals! As a play, this has already been in theatres for a while. It's called Corpus Christi ' which means 'The Christ Body.' It's a revolting mockery of our Lord. But, we can make a difference. That's why I am sending this e-mail to you. If you do send this around, we may be able to prevent this film from showing in AFRICA. Apparently, some regions in Europe have already banned the film. We need a lot of prayers and a lot of e-mails. As a Christian I want to take a stand in what I believe in and stop the mockery of Jesus Christ our Savoir. At the risk of a bit of inconvenience, I'm forwarding this to all I think would appreciate it. Please help us prevent such offenses against our Lord. It will take you less than 2 minutes to pass it on. If you are not interested, or do not have the 2 Minutes it will take to do this, please don't complain when God does not have time for you, because He is far busier than we are. Remember, Jesus said 'Deny Me on earth and I'll deny you before my Father'”

Soon after I even started to receive emails talking about the same thing! But the first time I saw the message on facebook I was shocked and curious. I just couldn’t believe that someone could make such a movie and I was even more surprised that I hadn’t even heard of it anywhere else on the internet (I check my email daily among other things). So I did the next most natural thing in my view and googled the so-called film. And guess what people, its fake!! Just another viral internet hoax about something that’s never even happened. Just like the one about Eddie Murphy having died in a ski accident or something like that. But my point is that usually on Social media if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. I mean it’s taken the concept of mis-information and rumour mongering to a whole new level. And then when the truth about it being a lie finally comes out, you end up feeling pretty dumb for having spread the false info in the first place.
    So basically my rule of thumb is usually to google and check links to reliable sites like Yahoo news, CNN and the Washington Post (To name just a few). That way if whatever you’re looking to find out is fake, you end up looking a whole lot smarter!! J



*Oh, and if you want to see more examples of internet hoaxes, you can go to:

Ciao.... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room