Random thoughts on not-so-random people


   I have had an amazingly restful week all thanks to the recent lecturer’s strike. Yes, I won’t lie. I was extremely overjoyed at the prospect of having a random unplanned holiday in the middle of the school year. I guess as a medic (Yes, I’m in med school) I embrace any down-time I can get with open armsJ. Although at some point my conscience took over and convinced me to do some studying, it was a pretty well spent week. And the best part was that I managed to catch-up with 2 of my high school besties.
   For purposes of this blog I’ll call them LN and BW. So after almost 3 years after we’d cleared high school, we managed to all get together. The three of us, at the same time!! Don’t get me wrong, we’ve kept in touch over the years. Texting, facebook, skype...he he! I even at random points managed to meet up with either of them aver that time period but never all three of us together!! Mostly because we attend three different universities but oh well!! And I think the best part was that it was like nothing had changed!! I mean we’d grown up so much and had so many stories to share but I still felt as close them as I did back then!! (I don’t feel just an afternoon was enough. I think I’ll have to look into making it an entire weekend or something next time!!) So then I got really nostalgic on my way back home today and thanked God for the opportunity he’d given me. This is going to sound pretty much cliché but I’m going to say it any way: You never know what you have till it’s gone! It is so true.
   I personally learned this painful lesson earlier this year. We have so many people around us who we take for granted every day!! My brother is one such example. We have a nine year age difference so it’s no surprise that he sometimes (okay, most of the time) manages to drive me absolutely bonkers!! But truth is that I love him to bits and I would probably kick the butt of anyone who tried to hurt him in any way. And I try to make sure that he knows this.
   So basically I’m trying to say:
·         I’m thankful for family members that can sometimes act a little psycho but I still love terribly.
·         I’m thankful for friends who put up with me at my very worst and are the only family that I actually get to choose.
·         Go out and tell someone exactly how much they mean to you!! If they’ve been such a gift to you then maybe this can be your gift to them!! J
Ciao....

(This pic is a dedication to all my pals :) )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room