Little Miss Selfish


    Human beings are excessively vain creatures. We believe that we have a right to anything and everything and that the world revolves around us. And when we don’t get what we want, we sometimes end-up behaving like 3-year olds - throwing tantrums and the like! Don’t believe me? Well:
  • Random question number 1: Remember the last time someone stepped on your foot? What did you do? Did you look at them badly? Or did you shout some instinctive profanity? Did you humbly mutter that it was okay while damning then in your mind (even if it was for just a milli-second)?
  • Random question number 2: The last time your lecturer announced that you had a CAT/exam you didn’t even know existed! Did you tell everyone around you just how unfair it was? Did you instantly get into a depressive studious mood? Was your day ruined by that one thing in your circle of no-control?

Need I go on??


     So now you think that I’m just being impractical. So I’ll just give my own experience. This Monday (The 1st October) I woke up felling like the world was my oyster and that it was so full of possibility because it was a new month. By the end of the day all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and watch a movie or something. Yes, my day didn’t go so well. The CAT I had studied for had been cancelled at the last minute (I’m one of those people who get butterflies no-matter how well prepared I am) among other things. And to top it all off when I went to the supermarket on my way home I realised I’d lost money!! Sh.1000 to be exact!! Now in the life of a Kenyan university student that’s harsh!! Let’s not even begin talking about how I had to go withdraw cash from an M-pesa before going back into the supermarket to pay for my purchases. So yes, I was in one of those look-me-in-the-eye-and-I’ll-shoot-you kind of moods. But somewhere along the way, as I was doing some music therapy, it suddenly hit me!! These were just little things that I shouldn’t let get to me. And then I thought that maybe I was mean’t to lose that cash so that someone who needed it more could make use of it (Yes, I’m a glass-half-full person like that). The world doesn’t and never will revolve around me so why should I make such a big deal over tiny little things!! As someone I know well so nicely put it on this past Sunday: ‘It ain’t about you’.

   I once read that there are 2 kinds of people in the world: those who are like a bottle of water and those who are like a bottle of coke. So what happens when you shake the bottles? The bottle of water remains exactly the same- calm and collected; while the bottle of coke gets all fizzy. So really you’ve got to choose if you’re going to be one of those people whose moods and state of mind are determined by the circumstances around them or those who always manage to keep a level head...


Ciao.....and Happy October by the way! I still feel like it’s going to be a great month!! Even as I study for my exams! J
   And the song that's been playing in my head all week: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room