Shake it off


   We are actors, the world is our stage and society is the script-writer. Apart from just being actors, collectively we are the director; and whenever an actor breaks character we are the first to shout at them and tell them all about how they’re doing it wrong! So a couple of weeks ago on Sunday morning I was walking in Westlands headed to a meeting right before church. Music in my ears, sunglasses on, nonchalant concentration on my goal; and then my sandal strap snapped (That wasn’t meant to be a tongue twister but stuff happens). What should have been a quick 3-minute walk to Nakumatt Ukay suddenly took me 10 long embarrassing minutes. So I practically hobble into this shopping mall that wasn’t conveniently deserted and ask where I can but slippers. Minutes later I walk out wearing blue patapatas (not even the fancy looking slippers that Bata sells. Patapatas!!!) And carrying my non-functional sandals in a paper bag.
 I then walked up the hill between Ukay and Sarit with my head held high as I glanced around to find a cobbler. You see, I really didn’t care. I think I’ve reached a point in my life where I can’t be bothered to try and fit someone else’s expectations of what I should be. Shaking off the chains of conformity.  That’s what I call it.  It’s both scary and liberating because I don’t have to pretend anymore. I don’t have to walk on egg-shells and put on masks just so someone else won’t feel uncomfortable. I am truly and unapologetically me!        Me with all my scars and faults and ugly bits. Me with all my quirks and awkwardness. Me with all my beauty and talent bubbly shining personality. And it’s ok because if you look closely enough you’re bound to find a little weirdo in each and every one of us. So go ahead, I dare you to SHAKE IT OFF!!


Comments

  1. I like this..and I do that too :) shake it off!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room