Sick-bed musings




   Dirt. Everything tasted like dirt.  (I don’t even know why I think it tasted like dirt since the last time I ate dirt I must have been like 3 years old! But people tend to use this comparison a lot so I’m going to stick with it) from the bread that I painstakingly applied blueband, peanut butter and jam on, to the over-sugared weetabix. All in an effort to get myself to eat something before taking my medication. I was really cold, and my sweater was the only thing keeping me from shivering-up a storm. Why was I even standing in the kitchen coaxing myself to eat? Sure I know it’s usually a bad idea to take medication on an empty stomach, but my back hurt, my legs hurt, my head hurt. It basically hurt all over! I wanted my bed! To just curl up in a foetal position and collapse into a haze of mindless sleep. The same sleep I had been having for the past 2 hours before my mother came to check on me and realized I was running a fever. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had already known this, but the little voice that spoke logic was overpowered by my zombie-like instincts. The minute I had walked in the house, I had 2 thoughts: Shower – bed – shower – bed. That’s exactly what I did. I showered then went to bed. The med-student in me completely ignored the fact that I probably should have told my parents I wasn’t feeling so good (They are both health professionals btw). At some point in the night, my fever broke, and I fell into actual sleep. Then I skipped school the next day because I felt hung-over. Or at least that’s how I imagine a hang-over feels like because I don’t drink.
   Being sick somehow makes time pass slower. You have more time to think about your life and get answers to complex questions. I realized that when I was a kid, I was a bit of an idiot! I envied kids who missed school coz they were sick and in some misguided part of my brain I thought they were having fun at home while the rest of us struggled through impossible exercises and moody teachers. What was I thinking! This wasn’t fun! It was torture! At some point I may have started bargaining with God. My mother says that I have a very low tolerance to pain and physical discomfort and I think she might be right. All I wanted was for my symptoms to be gone and for them to be gone instantly! It’s a shame the world doesn’t work that way!
   But now I’m better and it’s great! I rarely fall sick but when I do, I it sort of makes me a bit of a baby. And the moral of this whole post is: Be grateful for what you have, especially the little things. Like your health. You never realize how important they are, until they’re gone!
  Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room