Why don’t we do cards anymore?

   Growing-up I watched my parents and their friends buy each other cards for birthdays, Christmas, success and we even got congratulations cards when my brother was born. I managed to fish out the cards that have survived in the house. I bought some of them myself and wrote Merry Christmas in my child-like squiggly hand-writing. So why don’t we do that anymore? Because I know from experience that card-buying is an art. You first look for one that passes on the message you want. Then you separate the gaudy from the tasteful. Finally, you pick the one the person you’re buying for would likely like the most. You see, it’s an art! Even the bank used to send me a card for my Birthday!


Birthday cards


Success cards...mostly mum's


Congratulations cards


My favourite: Christmas cards

   For all the good that technology has done for us, it’s taken away that authenticity in our declarations of affection. Admit it, every time someone sends you an e-card via Facebook you probably glance at it briefly then hit the like button so that the sender knows you’ve acknowledged it. But the last time someone gave you an actual card, your face lit-up and broke into a smile. It gave you the warm fuzzies.

   And I know that we’re busy and we have so many things to do, but aren’t your loved ones worth just a bit more effort. And some of you will say that card-giving kills trees, but I argue that cards can be recycled after like 10 or 20 years when they no longer hold sentimental value. We can find other ways of saving trees, like digitising exams and hospital records. I think it’s worth it, just to keep those things that make us human.

   So come on guys, let’s do cards!

   Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room