Feeling artsy


When I say art, I’m not referring to painting or drawing alone. I think that’s what we were taught was art in primary school. No, I’m referring to a bigger scope of things. Mainly including poetry and music since I personally can’t draw to save my life. It’s just interesting to see how people can express themselves in such creative and diverse ways until you realize that it’s not just about entertainment or passing time; but it’s about sending a message. In a very embellished way that makes it stick better. So all that said, I’m going to share a couple of things with you that I found particularly interesting and breath-taking in the category of 'Spoken word' because if I also start talking about music, I'll end up writing a pamphlet instead of a blog-post!! he he!!

Spoken word

So this is basically a form of poetry that isn’t just meant to be read, but needs to be performed for maximum effect. I think the days when every line of poetry had to rhyme are long gone and spoken word just puts a new perspective on things. When most people think of poetry they probably think Shakespeare and stuff, and they might find that boring (Even though honestly speaking, the man was a genius!). But this thing called ‘Spoken word’ had the ability to appeal to anyone regardless of whether or not they like poetry. So to start you off, here are some of my favourites so far (In no particular order):

1. If I had a daughter - Sarah Kay



So I randomly discovered her a few days ago while checking out something totally different on you-tube and I loved this piece instantly!!

2. When love arrives - Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye



Checked out another piece and this one is too sweet for words..

3. I will wait for you - Janet Ikz



One of the most inspirational pieces I've seen so far...

4. Why I hate religion - Jefferson Bethke



Incredibly true in so many ways!

  Yep, so there you have it. My favourite spoken word pieces. Hope you enjoyed!

Ciao and have an super artsy evening!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room