What's your label?


   
Labels, these things that we say about people to describe them in their entirety. Since childhood we’ve always done it. Taken one word and used it on an individual and then come to believe that that’s their identity. As if they have nothing more to offer the world except ‘Tom-boy’, ‘Skinny’, ‘Fat’, ‘Geek’. But the truth is that we’re all so much more. Human beings cannot be summed up in a single sentence let-alone word. Because we’re all so different and unique, shaped by the circumstances of our lives.
   It’s like those sci-fi shows you watch where the characters discover an alternate universe with people exactly like them save a few mundane differences (Yes, I’ve just used a Fringe reference). That’s what we’re like. We’re all human but everyone’s life is like an alternate universe thus making it impossible to judge someone based on your myopic view of a few of their actions.

Alternate universes
And our lives are all different
 












  How do I know this? We’ll have you ever  heard those stories by couples who've been married for more than 20 years and then the husband comes out and says something like ‘I learn something new about her everyday’. Yes I know what you’re thinking: “give me a break!! 20 years? You must know her by now!!” But I recently had a similar experience, not in a marriage situation (lol), but with my own parents. You’d think that after 20+ years of living with them I’d have them completely figured out (Well I have in most ways. Sorry Mom and Dad) but they just surprised me with their reactions to a certain situation in a way that I never expected. So I was left looking like:


   So next time you’re labelling someone, or someone labels you just remember that we are so much more than words that people say about us. This picture here below says it all.....
Ciao!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room