How to write a primary school composition: memoirs of a 90s kid

   The beginning depended on the type of composition. If I had been given a title, I'd start by describing how I woke up and ate the sumptuous breakfast my mother had lovingly prepared. If I'd been given a starting line or ending line,  I'd jump right into the story feet-first without even knowing what it would eventually be about. But I'd have  had all  that figured out by the end of the first paragraph.

   I'd get all poetic and talk about how the birds sang like angels or the shower reminded me of Victoria fallls. Never mind the fact that I've never heard an angel sing and I've never seen Victoria fallls. Similies earn you marks kids....remember that!

   My stories tended to gravitate towards the narration of kidnappings, hi-jackings or robberies. For some reason we'd decided that action -packed stories like these made for better story-telling. They gave you the opportunity to use phrases like 'shaking in fear like a chameleon on a feeble twig'.

   And the title?  It would be aptly named to mirror the story. Something like 'Kidnapped!!!'. The three exclamation marks were essential if you were to properly convey the epicness of your tale in an effort to make your teacher more enthusiastic about marking your composition. Perception is key dearies!  On the other hand,  you could  have used a proverb for your title which was worth an extra mark.

All the best.
Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room