The truth is: Kenya is the way it is because most of us don't stand up to corruption

There is strength in numbers...don't you ever forget that

   I’m not talking about the grabbing of public land or anything of that magnitude. Cases like those usually set our tongues wagging. They make us hold protests and sign petitions and cause a ruckus until the issue is dealt with. No, I’m talking about corruption on a smaller scale. Like when you go to get your car inspected and you have to give someone a ‘bonus’ or your vehicle will be deemed un-roadworthy...even if it’s brand new. Or when you use a Matatu and they charge more than the set fare...even though you all know you’re being conned.

   My experience was the latter. I was on my way home on Saturday. I pick my matatus at Odeon. Just before the Matatu left, the guy in charge of the stage came and told us that the fare was 30 bob. He asked us to make sure we only paid that. We all nodded half-heartedly. This always happens. The guy in charge says 30 bob, but the conductor almost always asks for 40bob after we’ve left and we obligingly foot the extra cost. Technically, the fare is supposed to be 30 bob till 4pm, and then they charge 40 bob. They even have posters stuck inside the vehicles’ walls indicating the correct fare. Not that this stops them.

   It was 2pm after all, so when the time came I gave the conductor 30 bob, knowing that if he insisted ion 40 bob I’d cave-in pay it anyway. Confrontation usually doesn’t help much in these situations...especially if the other passengers have paid the extra amount and you’re on your own. I know this from experience. After I’d given him the money, he immediately asked that I add an extra 10 bob. Big wow! But the guy sitting next to me jumped-in and chastised him for trying to con us out of an extra 10 shillings. I echoed his sentiments. None of the other passengers said a word.  At this point the conductor collected money from the rest of the passengers and then turned back to me to ask again for the extra 10 bob.  I think he was taking advantage of the fact that I’m a young and I’m a girl to try and intimidate me. He even threatened to make me alight there and then. But having just one other person stand-up for the right thing had emboldened me, because I’m not very confrontational by nature. I stuck to my guns and pointedly ignored him. I had decided that if he made me alight, I would do so rather than pay extra. My pride wouldn’t really allow me to back down after taking a stand like that.

   The guy sitting next to me alighted two stops before I was supposed to. I was now alone. In the back of my mind I was wary and prepared myself in case the conductor turned violent and decided to call me names in at the very least. Because let’s face it. I’m a woman in a country where misogyny is rampant. Also a number of Matatu conductors are known for being drunk on-the-job. I didn’t know if he was drunk. My mind was reeling.  The conductor handed me back my money. I don’t know what he was playing at exactly but maybe he was starting to sense that the balance of power had shifted. We eventually got to my stop and one of the ladies in the vehicle alighted. I quickly followed her out and at this point he just asked that I pay the 30 bob and be done with it. I did so and walked away without further incidence.

   So clearly we all know what the right thing is, but most of us are afraid to stand-up for it in case we find ourselves outnumbered. But there’s strength in numbers and we need to realise that. Numbers can be 2 people, or 4 or 10 or 100 or even more. Because the fact is that corruption is just a form of bullying. And deep down, all bullies are cowards. If we stand up to corruption in even the smallest of spaces (Like some of us have already started doing) then we will be on the path to truly changing this country.
  Ciao...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room