Voting for me


   Today it just hit me that 5 years is a long time! 5 years ago I was in form 2 and I thought that Danielle Steele was the best thing that ever happened to the literary world. And 5 years from today I will be in my mid-twenties. I will be working and or almost finishing my postgraduate (considering that I'm in med school, that's HUGE!!!) Most of my pals will be married or getting married; some of them will be having kids!! Like dang! Those are a lot of milestones! And the scariest thing isn't even how much my reality will have changed by then, but how much all of that could depend on next Monday. So just think about it. Where were you 5 years ago, where are you supposed to be in 5 years and are you ready to play Russian roulette with your future?

   I'm just nearing the end of my Psychiatry rotation and I've learnt 2 things: first of all, mental hospitals and patients aren’t as scary as horror flicks make them out to be. They are actually pretty nice people. Secondly, even small decisions have long-lasting effects. You know all that nonsense you were told in Primary and high school ati 'don't do drugs, they can make you go crazy’; well turns out it isn't that nonsensical after all! It’s called drug-induced psychosis and it's real. in the same way, those small decisions you make about voting for someone because of their ethnicity and trash-talking someone because of their last name could come back to haunt you in 5 years.

   So this Monday I'm voting for me, I'm voting for you, I’m voting for peace and most of all I'm voting for Kenya.
Ciao



Comments

  1. I concur with you Val.
    Its better to tell people the truth, and that is playing you role.Scary thing is that what will happen on Monday will definately affect our lives.Positively or worse still negatively.
    As young people full of potential we ought to make rational decisions that are not influenced by our ethnic backgounds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

I’m finally a doctor, now what?!