Reading...reading...and more reading!


   I have recently been in a very studious mood. Nose in books, focussed attitude, late night sleeping and all that jazz. Not that this is a huge change from my normal daily schedule considering the course I’m doing. But I’ve kicked it up a notch. Probably because I have a pharmacology CAT next month among other things. And since we’re talking about reading you should probably know that I love to read!! I mean like seriously. I’ve read so many books that I’ve lost count. A book-shop for me is like a jewellery store for an international thief! I can walk around for long periods of time lost in this world where I recognize books and book genres by their authors, not just by their covers. All the while ticking off the ones I’ve already read. This one time when I was in primary school I sat down with a notebook and tried to write down the title of every book I’d ever read until then. I gave up somewhere past number 50 because I kept on remembering more books I hadn’t written down and I realized that I’d never finish the list. Yep, that’s how bad it is. And I blame this all on my mother. She probably shoved a book under my nose the moment I could pronounce a coherent sentence (Lol!).

   And so, in the true spirit of nostalgia here is a list of my favourite books of all time (In no particular order):

Matilda by Ronald Dahl.

You think the movie was funny. Well here I am to shamelessly burst your bubble by saying those dreaded words: The book was even better! And it’s totally true. I read this book in class 5 and if I can still remember the experience and the cover and that’s saying a lot!

The chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

This man had an incredible imagination. These books were so amazing I had to keep reminding myself that they were written about 50 years ago. And it’s so interesting, from the writing style to the Christian parallels he did not purposely intend on creating. God has a funny way of doing stuff like that.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

This guy became a best-selling author at the age of 19! And do you know why? He wrote a book with a detailed description of a fictional land complete with very descriptive maps and vocabulary for the 6 different languages spoken by the different races living in the land! And you thought you had creativity!

The looking glass wars by Frank Beddor

The first time I read this book, I read it in French (Les guerres du mirior). And it was so awesome that I looked for the English version and read that too. Then I read the sequels to boot because it’s a trilogy. So basically it’s the story of Alice in Wonderland but twisted around in a way that’s dramatic and so very interesting and not to mention captivating for an adult to read.

The hunger games by Suzanne Collins

I read this novel series last year and when I was done, I read it again. Young adult post-apocalyptic fiction was totally new territory for me and this book just did it for me. The life and death situations, the teenage gladiators, the fight against an oppressive regime; incredible!

The time traveller’s wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This book probably explains why human beings don’t time travel; because of the confusion and drama it would cause. The first time he met his wife he was 20-something years old; but the first time she met him she was 6 years old and he was 40-something! Yeah, I know I kind of lost you there but they way the author tells it; it’s not that confusing at all. In fact, I daresay it’s intriguing.

The surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

Tess Gerritsen took all the medical geekiness in my head and put it down in a novel series. Sure the plot and murder mystery of the Rizzoli and Isles series is interesting in itself; but what really caught my attention was the flawless medical descriptions of procedures and stuff! I mean, I read this book in high school and yet 4 years later I still remembered it and looked for it. And then when I realized it was a series, I read them all! Muhahahaha!!

So there you have it (I think). In about 10 years this list will probably change a bit, who knows. And I’m challenging you to write down you’re on list. And If you can’t, then you should probably get started on your reading J
Ciao!!!

Comments

  1. This year I read Matilda for the first time and liked it. I gave it to Natasha, my daughter who is in grade 5 now. Their class teacher had only shared one chapter in school and she was glad to now own the whole book. Though in no particular order, am glad that you have started with it. Nice reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're doing that for her. I feel like kids these days spend way too much time on tv and internet and not nearly enough on books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We need adultier adults

Foodie Fridays: Shepherd's pie with nyama choma

Different kinds of people in the exam room